Module 3B. Summative and Formative Assessments
“I would like to ask all of you wise and insightful classmates: Aside from explaining the purpose of the test to students, is there a way we can design pre-tests so as not to discourage those who have not yet learned the topics?”
– by Gemma Fernandez – Thursday, 11 June 2015, 2:59 PM
Again, this was an interesting question for me.
Here are some ways, I think, I will apply:
- Do not label it as “test” – the term itself sends jitters to students
- If my purpose is to know the areas that need to be taught, weak and strong areas of my students in general, then I will ask them to not write their names on their papers. Anonymity can solve the problem of anxiety. However, if I need to know who among my students need help, this will not work.
- I’ll design a fun-game out of the pre-test.
- Emphasize that it is not graded!
EDS 113 Module 3B: Summative and Formative Assessments. Retrieved from http://myportal.upou.edu.ph/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=139641