What are assessments for? How will I use assessment in meaningful ways?
As a teacher:
- I will use assessment to know if the students are truly learning what they are supposed to be learning. I will use assessment to check if the learning goals/outcomes are met.
- I will use assessment to check if my method of teaching is effective and efficient.
- I will use assessment to know if the instructional materials I use are apt, up to date, and appreciated by students.
- I will use assessment to draw out the best from my students, to help them learn best, and help them give their best.
- I will use assessment to identify and address my students’ learning needs.
- I will use assessment to correct past errors, learn from them, and implement better ways.
- I will use assessment to identify and apply my next best teaching steps.
As a student:
- I will use assessment to improve my learning styles.
- I will use assessment to identify and work on my learning weaknesses and strengths.
- I will use assessment to know where I am in my learning, whether or not I am on the right track, and how else can I improve to optimize my learning.
- I will use assessment to help me perform my best, by correcting past errors, learning from them, and even exceeding what’s expected of me.
- I will use assessment to also give feedback to my teachers on how they can help us learn more effectively.
- I will use assessment to identify and apply my next best student learning steps.
As a school head/educational administrator:
- I will use assessment to gauge if the institution’s mission, goals and objectives are met.
- I will use assessment to know what needs to be changed or refined or added in terms of learning environment, curriculum, programs, instructional methodologies, tools, processes, and the entire system.
- I will use assessment to learn from past mistakes and implement best practices. I will use assessment to move forward.
- I will use assessment to guide me in my next steps.
Assessments can only be truly meaningful if the results and information gathered will be used timely and appropriately (to improve teaching-learning process).
Edutopia. (2008). Assessment professional development guide. Retrieved from http://www.edutopia.org/assessment-guide
Field-Tested Learning Assessment Guide [Web]. (2014). Retrieved from http://www.flaguide.org/start/start.php.
Victoria State Government – Department of Education and Training. (2013). Assessment advice. Retrieved from http://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/teachers/support/Pages/advice.aspx#purpose